Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

res·o·lu·tion [rez-uh-loo-shuhn]

–noun
1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5. the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.
6. the resulting state.
7. a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem, controversy, etc.
8. reduction to a simpler form; conversion.
(from dictionary.com *but tweaked to remove all unapplicable definitions)

All in all there were a total of 12 definitions for reolution...wow! As a lover of language I always laughed about people and their resolutions because I think of stubborness and the act of being resolute, not so much the "changing" that people look to accomplish when they make resolutions. I have never really made them because in case you haven't noticed...I have a little issue with follow through. Why go to the trouble of making a commitment, that you know you will not complete?

Things have changed a little over the years, though. I made a resolution on July 25, 2009 to quit smoking and I am smoke free still. I made a resolution to lose weight and while it has been a roller coaster year...I am still in the fight. Part of my resolution for this year (mark it down, first official ever) is to really challenge myself to stay on track. I am resolving myself to follow my 11 day challenges all year long.

Another resolution that I am making is to change my personal ranking on my own hierarchy. Everyone else has already been taken care of now I need to be taken of and if no one else is going to stand up for my needs...I have to be the one to do it. I am also including COMPLETLING ALL of my 11 day challenges, reaching my goal of actively participating in a trip to Six Flags with my kids, and running a 5k in June with my friend.

Big Goals, Big Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment