Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Running Partner

Today...I got to spend some real time with my husband's family. I love spending time with all of my nieces and nephews, but with the older one's it's a little different. We have known each other for a while now and we can have real conversations, I can both laugh at their jokes and tell them how inappropriate they are for family (all the while remembering them for work on Monday...ha ha ha) I have talked about Nathan before...he is almost 12 and well...he's 12. If you've EVER known a 12 year old boy, you know what I am talking about. He says inappropriate things, farts on or at you, then says excuse me with a smirk. They are both fascinating and annoying creatures.

I have told you before about how we have a history of deep conversation and he and I have a connection (despite the fact that he {along with my daughter}has been trying my patience, lately).

We were all talking about my running/walking the treadmill in preparation for the race and he said with super wide eyes "You have a treadmill? I wish I had a treadmill" I think I glossed over his statement with something like "Yeah...you think you want a treadmill" (Why did I say that?) Discussion lead to me trying to convince him that the treadmill sucked for some reason. (Why did I do that?) But, eventually it lead to him asking me if he could try it out. "Sure, we will go into the basement and bust it" and so we did.

He ran/walked a mile at my direction. I controlled the speed. He just kept going. I was his oversized Jillian Michaels. I said "Let me know if it's going to fast" He said "Could you slow it down?" Then I said "no" and kept him running at close to 4 miles an hour for the allotted time. I told him "You can handle this...you got this...15 more seconds." He did it. walked/ran the whole mile.

Then...my turn. He inspired me to do my mile for time tonight...even though I was planning on petering out. That's HORRIBLE, but true. If I didn't do it...I felt like I was letting him down in someway. Not practicing what I preach. So, tonight...I did it for him and I thank him for holding me accountable.

Tomorrow...3.1, bright and early.

125 days to Komen

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that's cute. =) Glad you got your mile in! And, dare I say, maybe had some fun/quality time while doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I love how you both pushed each other in a loving way. LOL

    ReplyDelete