Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years

I am reposting a link to my last years 9/11 blog because I believe for me...it says all I can say on the subject.  If you are interested click here.  If not, that's ok...I still have a few musings about the day.

I have been on Twitter and Facebook on and off all morning.  I realized in a social media environment something that I have known, but never first hand experienced before today...We are ALL truly connected.  I suppose that many things connect us to each other as we live out our human experience, but I think that the majority of Americans (at least the ones I know personally) take for granted our freedoms and liberties, but the one thing that connects us all to a basic Patriotism is 9/11. 

It's the one thing that was thrown in our face to say hey...You have it, it's fragile, and you may have to fight for it.  I am not saying that was the intent, but it definitely is a message that you can take from it.  Innocent, unsuspecting people lost their lifes that day.  Families were changed forever.  The United States of America was changed forever.

I was changed forever.

I can 't bring myself to watch any of the programming.  I saw enough from September 11, 2001 and in the days after.  I have spent some time reflecting over issues of Newsweek, Time, and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch from the days after the attacks.  It just brings it all right to the surface in a way I have never experienced before. 

September 11, 2001.  Despite the amount of time that has passed and the distance we have traveled from it, still feels like yesterday in so many ways.

1 comment:

  1. I was thousands of miles away in UK, it happened , not in my country, not in my land and it still rocked our entire worlds. I stood watching the 'accident' of a plane hitting WTC on a TV in a cafe...we all stood, watching horrified. Then the second plane hit and I watched it live. It wasn't an accident anymore. My children were 6 and 3 that day and at school/nursery. I wanted to drive to get them, to hold them tight to me. I was scared we were in some kind of global war and I wanted my babies near me.
    Everyone knows where they were when they saw the images on TV. I hope I never have another day so frightening, so unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete