Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Everything I Learned, I Learned from Dr. Leo Marvin.

It's difficult to keep the motivation to move forward. To do what needs to be done everyday to take off the weight. It is especially difficult when you carry the label "morbidly obese". How do you move forward when you are killing you? One step at a time.
I have often said that food is not my problem; "I eat "normal" sized meals 3 times a day, my real struggle is with the activity portion." This, I have found, is not true. I make poor food choices...all day, everyday.
So, What to do? How to change? The answer: A huge leap of faith and then baby steps. It sounds contrived, but it's true. Baby Steps are exactly that..small changes that amount to a lifetime of growth.
My leap of faith occurred when I decided to do something about being overweight. Sounds simple, but I went a step further...I decided to quit smoking at the same time, COLD TURKEY!
I thought for two days about my eating habits and the things in my life that make it easy to just grab something. For instance, my two small children have to be ready for the babysitter in the morning and I have to be at work by 7am. "There is no time for me to eat breakfast at home."
Baby Step #1: English Muffin, Ham, and Cheese.I get it out of the fridge when I am making sippy cups in the morning and pop it into the microwave as I put the milk away. I can eat it as I am getting ready or grab it as I am out the door. With a banana it is the perfect breakfast for on the go. This may not be the healthiest option open to me, but it's change and it is definitely less calories than the Steak and Egg Burrito that I was eating from "the box" most mornings. The healthier part can be my next "step"
The important thing with baby steps is to remember that a baby can take more than one step in a day and they keep trying to walk no matter how many times they fall. Babies never achieve the step, analyze how well they did it, decide that they don't measure up or could have done better, berate themselves, and wait two weeks before they muster up the courage to start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment